Roosterkoek, a beloved South African classic, is a delightful treat reminiscent of Snowflake’s Vetkoek recipe. With a preparation time of 50 minutes and a cook time of 15 minutes, this recipe serves 2-4 people, making it a perfect option to double up and prepare for two satisfying meals.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 kg Snowflake Cake Wheat Flour
- 10 ml Salt
- 30 ml Sugar
- 10 ml Instant Dry Yeast
- 30 ml Cooking Oil
- 750 ml Lukewarm Water
Prepare yourself for a mouthwatering experience as you embark on the journey of making Roosterkoek, a true South African delight!
- Combine sifted flour and salt in a bowl. Add sugar and yeast to the mixture.
- Pour in oil and lukewarm water gradually while using a knife to cut and mix the ingredients into a soft, sticky dough. Add more water if needed.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the kneaded dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover it and allow it to rise in a warm place for approximately 30 minutes, or until it doubles in size.
- After the dough has risen, gently press it down on a floured surface and knead until it becomes smooth again. Divide the dough into 6 to 10 pieces and shape them into rectangles.
- Put the formed dough rectangles on greased baking trays. Cover and leave them in a warm place for about 15 minutes or until the dough balls rise well.
- Bake the dough on a braai grid over coals or use an unoiled griddle pan on the stovetop until they are fully cooked.
- Serve the warm bread with butter, cheese, and jam. For a sweet version, you can serve it with chocolate spread.