Chin Chin is a common West African sweet, which is fried in oil. The following recipe stems from Nigeria and will be a treat for your tastebuds.
- 280g all purpose flour
- 82g granulated sugar
- 57g salted butter
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix the dry ingredients and set them aside.
- Mix the wet ingredients except for the butter and set them aside.
- Put the butter into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix it in with your hands until it is just combined.
- Now, pour in the wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms. In case it is too stiff add a bit of milk, in case it is too tacky, add some flour.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes after wrapping it in saran wrap.
- Roll the dough out and cut it into little squares.
- Put a little bit of flour on the squares, so that they won’t stick.
- Heat the oil and fry the squares until they are golden brown. Spread them on a paper towel to cool.