Today we bring the many flavours of Zanzibar to you!
This tasty chicken dish made with a variety of spices will definitely be the star of your next cookout! Read more about this delicious african dish down below.
- 2 Chicken Thighs, cut into pieces
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 3 Small Tomatoes chopped
- 3 Cloves Of Garlic minced
- 2 Green chillies, chopped
- 6 Large Fresh Basil Leaves
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 5 Cardamom Pods
- The Juice of 2 Limes
- 250 ml Chicken Stock
- 400 g Coconut Milk
- 4 Teaspoons Groundnut Oil
Optional: Cooked Basmati Rice
Source: Hello Fresh
Let’s start cooking…
- Heat a deep-sided frying pan with the groundnut oil until hot and add the chicken.
- Fry the meat for about one to two minutes on each side until it’s golden brown
- Remove the meat from the oil and set in on a plate aside
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and stir. then add the chopped tomatoes, one of the chopped chilli an cook for about 3 minutes
- In the meantime use a pestle and mortar to grind the turmeric, cumin, coriander, and cardamom pods into a fine powder.
- Mix in the ground spices with the onion and tomato mixture and add the lemon juice
- Pour in the chicken stock and coconut milk in to the pan. Stir and let it cook for 5 minutes
- Now place the chicken in to the pan and stir. Simmer on low heat for 15-20 when the chicken is cooked through
- Lastly, season the chicken with the chili and basil
Your Zanzibar Chicken is ready! You can serve it with basmati rice or any kind of side